Parque Martí, Guantánamo
Have a walk through the José Martí Park and its surroundings and enjoy the cultural, political and commercial life revolving around the beautiful square. The Parque José Martí (José Martí Park), located in front of the Iglesia de Santa Catalina de Riccis Church, is one of the most outstanding spaces in the city of Guantánamo. Also known as Central Park, on its beginning it was named Weapons Square, because it was the place where the Spanish army did their military exercises. At the beginning of the 20th century started to be sowed different plants which, bit by bit, transformed the square into a park. In 1930 it was raised in the square, in front of the paris the statue of the Major General Pedro A. Pérez. The park, along the decades has been suffering different transformations, among which stand out the built of the known shell and a fountain raised for the plays of the Municipal Band, with half underground public restrooms, and which is standing since the middle of the 50s. At one side of the church is set up the “Martian corner”, made by a monumental seated figure of José Martí, in honour of the Apostle. Have a walk by the beautiful square on your visit to the Iglesia de Santa Catalina Church and have a look at the Cuban life in the amusement center of the city.