San Salvador de la Punta
A pleasant place for a seaside stroll with beautiful harbor views, the Castillo de San Salvador de la Punta is rich in history and has played a key role in the maritime defense of Havana. It was designed by three men; Giovanni Battista Antonelli, Juan de Tejeda, and Cristobal de Roda and built over a 21 year span from 1589-1610. Strategically located on the western edge of Havana's harbor, the Castillo de San Salvador de la Punta was linked with another of Havana's four fortresses, Castillo de los Tres Reyes del Morro, via a brass and wood chain during times of uncertainty. In the case of an attack, this link was tightened and enemy ships were prevented from entering the harbor. Of all the interesting monuments here, the most important is the equestrian statue of General Maximo Gomez.