Cueva de los Portales
Cave of the Portals It is a natural place of physiogeographic formations that summarizes natural, historical and cultural aspects During the Missile Crisis in this place was the head of the Western Army under the command of Ernesto Che Guevara. Geographic location It is a natural and historical place of great value that summarizes natural, historical and cultural aspects. It is located in the province of Pinar del Rio in the municipality of La Palma, bounded on the north by Lagunitas, on the south by El Abra de Caiguanabo; to the east with Sierra de La Guira and while to the west is San Andrés de Caiguanabo. Its caverns There is an old current of calm waters that flows through the lower part of the cave, this has resulted in two contiguous caves, when it rains the water rises and reaches the level of the second cavern. This cave was discovered in the year 1800 by a Spaniard who gave it his surname, more than a century later it was prepared by Manuel Cortina a landowner of the area for personal enjoyment due to its beauty and natural conditions. Because of its strategic position within the western territory, the Cueva de Los Portales was the site chosen by Ernesto Che Guevara in 1962 during the Missile Crisis, as the command center of its headquarters in the region. Later, a popular camp was built near the site, which among its attractions is visiting the cave.